229,961 hours, or one-third of your entire lifetime. That’s how much time the average person will spend sleeping in their lives. But maybe you’re thinking to yourself, “Yeah, that’s the average person. My number’s probably half of that.”
Sleep is so integral to every part of your health. It helps reduce stress and inflammation, and can even be an essential component of heart health and cancer prevention. But despite its importance, the CDC has termed insufficient sleep a current public health epidemic.
It’s estimated that 50 to 70 million Americans of all ages and socioeconomic classes are affected by sleep-related problems, with 70% of adults reporting that they obtain insufficient sleep at least one night a month and 11% reporting insufficient sleep every night.
Due to the disparity between the importance of adequate sleep and the number of people who are actually getting good sleep, products, devices, and tips abound all offering the best tools to get a great night of rest. Rehabmart is here to cut through the fakers and give you the best advice on how to choose the perfect solution for all your sleeping needs.
The Top 5:
If part of your problem with getting a good night’s sleep is falling out of bed, or even just the fear of falling out of bed, then the fifth product in our list is the right choice for you. The Signature Life Sleep Safe Home Bed Rail by Stander, Inc. is one of the few that can be added to a standard home bed and is also extendable and capable of being flipped up or down for use when you need it and no irritation when you don’t.
In addition to the standard safety benefits brought to you by most bed rails, the Signature Life Sleep Safe Bed Rail includes a convenient pocket for easy access to frequently-used supplies like remotes, glasses, books, or notepads. It also features an increased length that can extend out to provide more protection than the standard bed rail.
Features & Benefits:
- Offers protection from falling out of bed, helping you sleep by keeping you safe.
- Can be used fully extended or half-sized for more or less protection
- Entire rail pivots 180-degrees out of the way when not in use
- Leather-like storage pouch provides easy access to necessities
- Sleek, modern design looks attractive rather than institutional
- Helps ease your mind by keeping you safe in bed through the night
- Pivots conveniently out of the way, dropping when not in use
- Includes a convenient storage pouch for easy access to frequently-used items
- Features a 300-pound weight capacity for strong protection
- Not really helpful for people with sleep disturbances other than fall risk
For people who find the most comfort in sleeping on their side, the Contoured L-Shaped Body Pillow by Contour Living Company is a great way to ensure that any problems you have with sleep aren’t from a lack of support or comfort, at least not from your pillow. The specialized design is ideal for those experiencing pain and needing targeted support, offering soft comfort that perfectly shapes itself to your body.
The unique L-shape allows it to be positioned to comfortably support the spine, neck, shoulders, legs, knees, and the back. Wrap your arms around one side of the pillow while resting your head comfortably on the other to keep your neck, shoulders, and upper body naturally aligned, or place it between your legs to comfortably support the hips, knees, and legs.
Features & Benefits:
- Maintains proper spinal alignment for better sleeping posture
- Uniquely shaped to perfectly maintain the optimum side sleeping position
- Provides support and comfort without the firm harshness of a foam wedge
- Ultra-soft and comfortable to properly support your individual body shape
- Available with optional cover to keep your pillow clean and hygienic
- Offers comfortable support for the neck and shoulders or hips and knees
- Uniquely shaped to improve comfort and reduce morning pain and stiffness
- Perfect for side sleepers or those who live with chronic pain, especially painsomnia
- Can be used by sleepers in all positions, not just side sleepers
- Softness provides less stable support
- Unique shape means you’ll require specialized pillowcases
The third product included in our recommendations is the Natural Homeopathic Sleep Aide from Vital Nutrients. Primarily made with Valerian and Lemon Balm, this supplement contains herbs and natural ingredients purported to be great for relieving anxiety and helping people get to sleep.
A variety of substances known to help promote a good night’s sleep by making you drowsy and helping you sustain sleep for a longer period are included to really hit you at every possible level. In addition to Valerian and Lemon Balm, Sleep Aide is also made with California Poppy, L-Theanine, Lavender Essential Oil, and Melatonin, which all act together to provide a good night's sleep.
Features & Benefits:
- Helps to promote restful sleep by increasing feelings of drowsiness
- Calms the nervous system for slight relief of anxiety and similar conditions
- Vital Nutrients independently tests all their supplements for safety and authenticity
- Includes multiple ingredients known to help improve and sustain sleep throughout the night
- All-natural ingredients make this safe to use for most people in good health
- Helps people sleep without the negative side effects and risk of addiction common with prescription sleep medications
- Anecdotal evidence indicates that it helps improve drowsiness and relieve insomnia
- Limited scientific evidence to support its effectiveness in improving sleep
- Can interfere with certain allergy, cholesterol, antifungal, and cancer medications
The second place in our top 5 list of better sleep tools is a great solution for any and everyone, no matter what the source of your sleep disturbances. The Austin Air HealthMate is a top-tier purifier with a durable steel construction, and three speeds of filtration to better suit your space and your needs.
This air purifier features a four stage purification system consisting of a large particle pre-filter, a medium particle pre-filter, a layer of active carbon filtration, and finally, HEPA H13 medical-grade filtration that captures 99.97% of all particles for the best quality air possible. Placed on four secure casters for easy movement, and with a simple knob interface, this purifier is a dependable, durable, and useful addition to any space, and can make you breathe easier at night.
Features & Benefits:
- Four-step air purification system captures 99.97% of all particles for the best air quality
- Durable steel design is visually appealing, simple, and available in sandstone or black
- HEPA filtration and 360-degree intake guarantee purified air for an entire room
- Reduces allergens and improves air quality for easy breathing and relaxation
- Powerful filtration works quickly and for extended periods
- Simple design fits in well without being an eye-sore
- Simple design lacks much customization or options beyond purifying
- A bit on the heavy side
The number one pick in our list of top best sleeping tools is the Cervical Support Better Sleeping Pillow by Therapeutica. This unique pillow is perfectly shaped for maximum comfort and support, helping to maintain ideal posture and spinal alignment while you sleep, whether you’re a side or back sleeper or even have a tendency to switch between the two.
This pillow provides support to both the neck and upper back area, and includes contoured headrests on both sides to keep your head and neck level. The curved top edge provides shoulder clearance and minimizes compression, while the flexible side panels help reduce pressure on your neck and shoulders. The unique density of the foam creates a softness that allows for extreme comfort, while still being firm enough to support a good night's sleep.
Features & Benefits:
- Available in 5 sizes for a custom fit
- Produces sound sleep through spinal alignment
- Created to work for both side and back sleepers
- Made of recyclable, non-allergenic and non-toxic foam
- Promotes better sleep through great sleeping posture and alignment
- Unique design supports back and side sleepers plus those who switch between the two
- Firm foam is soft and flexible enough to be comfortable, while still soft enough for comfort
- Not applicable for stomach sleepers
Sleep is incredibly important for everyone's general health and comfort, yet so many of us are not getting enough. The products included in this list are the best available in our catalog, helping you get the best possible sleep without prescription medications.
The number one slot in our rankings goes to the Cervical Support Better Sleeping Pillow by Therapeutica. It's constructed with a supportive design that helps to reduce pain, stiffness, and discomfort, improving your ability to sleep by ensuring proper spinal alignment. This great pillow can improve your days as well as your nights, too, not only by improving your sleep, but also by reducing morning pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders.
For more products that can help you sleep better or that can improve your general bodily health, check out Rehabmart's full catalog of rehabilitation tools. If you liked what you've read here and want more, come visit Caregiver University for more helpful tips, tricks, and product reviews about caregiving and living with illness.
Hulet Smith, OT
Co-founder/CEO of Rehabmart, Pediatric Occupational Therapist, husband, and father. Passionate about connecting special needs kids with superb nutrition, sensory integration, and complementary health strategies. Excited about Rehabmart's mission to become the premier online educational platform which empowers caregivers by spotlighting innovative devices and interventions to achieve optimal patient response and recovery.
Meet all of our experts here!